Whether it’s his latest Texas-themed collaboration with MAC Cosmetics or his September New York Fashion Week show that paid homage to Lone Star women, the hometown-proud designer (whose self-titled collection is sold locally at Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom and Elizabeth Anthony) will never forget where he came from.
1. How do you describe Texas style to your team in New York?
Texas style is timeless. It is the epitome of American luxury.
2. From Beyoncé to Jerry Hall, Texans are known for their over-the-top glamour. In your opinion, who on the world’s stage represents our state as most stylish?
Lynn Wyatt is my ultimate muse. She exudes confidence and grace. I love the way that her style has evolved over the years. She is truly an icon!
3. The set of your recent fashion week show, where supermodels walked among pickup trucks (sponsored by Kia; the carmaker gifted funds of a vehicle to teachers in Marfa) and fashion elite sat front row on pink Yeti coolers (later donated to Girl Scout troops in San Antonio) could have been a small-town homecoming parade. Where did this flair for big hair and glamour come from?
My team and I went to Marfa this past spring to take some time away from the studio and create the spring 2019 collection. I wanted to honor Texas without the clichés: Donald Judd, cowboys and cactuses.
4. How did your childhood in Longview shape you?
Longview is home. It is where I first learned about fashion, by spending time in Riff’s, where my grandmother worked as a buyer. Looking back at old photographs, it is incredible to see how formative those years were and how they helped inform my understanding of fashion today.
5. You’re a proud East Texan. What struck you about the creative congregating out West?
We spent a lot of time seeking out local creatives, galleries and institutions that define Marfa. Our time there was so special that we made a documentary to capture our creative process. Everything about Marfa was incredible, from the people to the landscape and the sunsets. That time away really reconnected me to what I love about Texas and helped to develop my most personal collection to date!